Monday, December 29, 2014

Wham! Superman! Bam! Krack!



It’s been nearly 6 months since my last post.  At the time, I was noticing that if I found the time to sew, I wouldn’t also have time to blog.  One would think that with a 6 month gap in blogging, I must have been doing a lot of sewing.  And I have.  But I have also been doing a lot of other things too. 

However, before I forget, I want to catch up a little on some of the sewing I accomplished since July. (Hopefully soon I will also be able to catch up a little on the Spinsta issues I have been wrangling along the way too.)

Back in June, I shared a pillow I had made using a pansy print and a scripted list of Shakespeare flowers to create a Union Jack motif.  I’d also done a tea cozy using a print with London sites.  I made a slight left turn with this one.  My friend Page and her husband love all that superhero stuff my Spinsta privilege allows me to ignore as I please.  For her May birthday, I made this pillow.  I had been looking for fabric that had all those Batman words Bang! Pow! Skeee! (or whatever they are) when I found this Superman stuff.
Wham! Superman Union Jack with Dots


I used the polka dots as a reference to the Ben Day dots used so effectively in Roy Lichtenstein’s work.

The back is simply closed with big neon green buttons because neon green is awesome. (As you can see, I was carefully supervised by Fergus, as is typically the case)
Fergus subjects the pillow to rigorous inspection criteria.

I am amused by the juxtaposition of the very American subject matter of Superman with the veddy, veddy British flag.  I have known Page a looooooonnnnnnggggg time.  Trust me.  This combination is just right for the girl who hung a Union Jack flag in her college dorm room accessorizing it with a silver tea service and an Indiana Jones hat (Raiders of the Lost Ark was just getting a sequel while we were in school.)

Her birthday is in May, but I finally managed to mail the pillow in time for Christmas.  My plans for coordinating items have stalled, but will restart soon. In the meantime, I sent the pillow to make room for the many other projects piling up in my kitchen sewing area now.  (It is pajama bottom season again)

Hopefully it won’t be another 6 months until I manage to report on some of my other work.  Both sewing and psychological. I am still obsessed with this Union Jack variation motif, but there are a few other things cooking as well…

No comments :

Post a Comment