Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 10, 90 to go: Abduction


I had a big plan for making stuff even when I was traveling.  I even had a back-up plan for making something when I got back just in case I couldn’t get anything made on the road.
This is my life.

But the bus ride home interfered.  Apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to show a movie on the bus.  Whether I wanted to watch it or not, the sound was piped throughout the cabin.  This is a problem for a Luddite like me.  I refuse to haul an MP3 player around with me. I want to hear the sounds of my actual life rather than cut myself off from them.  This is the first time I wished I could have muffled what I was hearing.  This movie was nothing like my real life.

As it turned out, the bus lights were not bright enough for me to embroider under.  And with the movie playing, there was no way I would be able to get any reading done.   It seemed that my only option was an attempt at a nap.  (Having grown up in a house full of babies and toddlers, I learned to sleep through pretty much anything, which was very helpful in college dorms.) 

The Dreaded Highmark HQ
But I didn’t learn to sleep through this train wreck of a movie, Abduction.  Not only was it playing on the screen at the front of the bus, but when I tried to look out the window, the reflection of the screen was all I could see.   Something familiar caught my eye--a building that said “Highmark” on it.  Uh oh.  Was some of this movie filmed in Pittsburgh?

Having lived in da burgh for 10 years, I found I could not avert my eyes.  I searched every scene for familiar landmarks and buildings and was rewarded about every 5 minutes.  There were good actors in this movie—Alfred Molina, Sigourney Weaver, Maria Bello & Jason Isaacs.  Most of them got killed off far too early.  This left that werewolf kid from Twilight and a 90210 escapee with an uncanny resemblance to Frida Kahlo to carry the Swiss cheese plot.  Sadly, Abduction sucked the life out of me and by the time I got home, I was just too exhausted to put anything together.
Frida Kahlo, Zombie Movie Star?
 
I will have to make up for this lost day by making at least 2 things tomorrow. The last time I took this particular ride, I brought yarn and a crochet hook and made a hat that my niece snatched from my hand the minute I offered it.  So I am going to take a crochet hook and more yarn with me this time too.  Hopefully the bus will have wi-fi and allow me to post pictures of whatever I make. 

The big question as of today is whether I will be able to resist Joann Fabrics on Black Friday.  They love to put pajama flannel on sale. 


Gratuitous image of Jason Isaacs

No comments :

Post a Comment