Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 29, 71 to go: Light Gingerbread dough.


Yummy Nutella filling...
I had a plan this morning.  I was going to make a double batch of dough for Nutella Pochettes and stick it in the fridge overnight so I could make them in the morning.  Sadly, I didn’t have quite enough flour on hand, so those will have to wait.  I was being so good at getting the cream cheese and butter to room temp.  Oh well.

In case you are unfamiliar with the Nutella Pochette, here is a picture.  A former co-worker came across this recipe last year and thought I would like it.  She was so right.  For those of you who are rugelach lovers, I recommend this variation.  Like rugelach, the dough is made with flour, butter and cream cheese.  Only instead of preserves, nuts, raisins, poppy seeds or other traditional fillings, these are stuffed with Nutella.  Sigh. 

Of course, since they are filled with Nutella, I can’t make just one batch.  I need to make at least a double batch.  And even then, the chances they will make it out of my house to someone else are kind of low…

Light gingerbread bunnies--honey bunnies?
Without enough flour for that double batch, I made a batch of light gingerbread dough which I will cut out tomorrow (after I go out and get more flour, right?)  This is a recipe I came across the year before last.  Instead of molasses as a sweetener in them, this recipe calls for honey.  I really like them.  They have that same intoxicating mix of spices—ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice that go into regular gingerbread.  But with honey rather than molasses, they have an entirely different flavor profile.  I love the way my house smells when I bake gingerbread. 

So, tomorrow, there should be some cookies to show for the dough I am making… I guess this week will involve a lot of cookie baking… and gnome making… How can it be less than 2 weeks until Xmas already? 



Golden Gingerbread Cookies
(by Jennifer Lindner McGlinn from her cookbook, Gingerbread)

Description: This was in my Gingerbread cookbook. They are such a nice take on regular gingerbread because they use honey instead of molasses.   They have a more gentle spice and are excellent cut-out cookies.   This makes a fairly small batch.

Ingredients:


2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 c (1 stick) butter at room temp
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c packed light brown sugar
1/4 c honey
1 large egg



Royal icing or sugar sprinkles

Directions:

  1. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and spices.  
  2. Beat butter on medium hgh until smooth.
  3. Add the sugars and continue beating until light and fluffy.
  4. Spray 1/4 c measure with Pam and then measure honey into it and add to sugars and butter. (The Pam lets the honey slip into the batter instead of sticking to the measuring cup)
  5. Beat until smooth.
  6. Drop in egg and mix until incorporated, scraping sides as needed.
  7. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture just until dough comes together.
  8. The dough will be very soft.
  9. Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap, press into a disk and wrap tightly.
  10. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  11. Position rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking liners.
  12. Roll the dough onto well-floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out with cookie cutters.
  13. Arrange on cookie sheet (If you are decorating with sugar, this is the time to sprinkle it on)  
  14. Bake for 8-10 minutes until they are barely golden brown.
  15. Cool on pan for a minute or two and transfer to airtight container placing wax paper between layers.
  16. Cool completely and decorate with royal icing if desired.


Number Of Servings
:20 4" cookies

Preparation Time
:Several hours including 2 hours in fridge

No comments :

Post a Comment